In May, I was preparing the boat for our Summer season with the intention of rebuilding the carbs doing a basic tune-up with plug and points and changing the gear oil. But as I was lifting the motor I noticed it was tipping to the left side as I lifted. Maybe only 1/4-3/8 but there was a definite tilt. Upon further inspection, I determined the main hinge bolt had rusted through on one side! Based on this discovery, I knew I needed to replace the bolt or risk having to fish the motor out of the bay.
|Not only was the main pivot bolt rusted through at one end but|
so was one of the two transom clamp lower bolts. Salty.
|What goes with new paint? New Chrome! See that burgee pole?|
I cut a slot for it in my extra bow handle. Hopefully, I will be
able to fly a FZYC burgee next summer.
I also thought it was a good idea to pull off all the chrome and send it to the chrome shop. All the chrome was pulled inventoried and delivered to a buddy of mine who is in the motorcycle parts business. They do a lot of chrome and I begged a favor to have him put my chrome in with one of his wheel orders knowing it would knock 75% of the cost out of what otherwise would have been a $3K project. The only caveat... no promises about when it would be done.
|Mike Kuhar painting my motor cowl. Mike's business is|
refinishing furniture and custom home interiors.
Vintage boat motor painting is a hobby.
Next Step... motor reassembly.